Yarra Junction Caving Experience, Melbourne: Descend into the subterranean world of adventure caving with this truly amazing caving experience at Yarra Junction Cave close to Melbourne. This half day caving experience takes place approximately 90 minutes from Melbourne. As you enter this underground world you will explore a maze of underground 'boulder' caves where you will find phosphorous glow worms & cave crickets.
Yarra Junction Caving Highlights
- Getting down, dirty & wet at the granite caves
- Wade through a subterranean river
- Explore chambers, caverns and chasms
- Watch as the glowworms reveal themselves
- Your Guide provides interesting facts & information
- Ideal for beginners!
The Yarra Junction Caving Experience is ideal for beginners as there are multiple exit points. Before you being your caving instructor/guide give you a full safety briefing and a description of the unusual granite boulder cave formations you can expect to see in various parts of the Yarra Junction cave system.
During your caving experience you can expect to get wet and muddy, although as the caves are at the head of a gully, they will not flood while you are underground. After we've finished exploring the cave system we head out of the cave and walk back to the vehicles.
If you are after something more challenging we can recommend... Full Day Caving at the Labertouche Cave
Yarra Junction approx. 1 hour from Melbourne.
- Weekend day trips all year.
- Weekdays available for larger group bookings.
- Use the "enquire" tab above to contact us... include numbers, ages and dates wanted.
- Tours run at 10am and 1pm on selected dates.
- Time underground: 2 hours.
- Transport from meeting point to caves
- Morning tea & picnic lunch
- Professional caving guides
- All caving & safety gear including ropes, helmets & headlamps.
What to wear:
- We recommend old clothes or overalls, old pants (no denim jeans).
- Fleecy jacket, thermal underclothes, woolen socks, and old runners.
- You will also need a towel and a changes of clothes for the end.
Age + Fitness Restrictions:
- Child* = 8 to 16 years
- This activity is suitable for anyone over the age of 8 years.
- Children under 16 yrs must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
- Average fitness recommended.
- Caving can be cramped, therefore it helps to be on the small size and flexibility is an advantage.
- Not recommended if you suffer from claustrophobia or are pregnant.
- Asthmatic? You must bring your medication on the day. You will not be allowed to enter the cave without it.
- If you have back, neck, joint, or muscular problems, you should carefully consider whether to participate.
We need a minimum group size 4 participants to run this experience. Single bookings are welcome, you will be joining another group on the day.
Please note that new "Fire Danger Ratings" now operate in Victoria. All tours will be subject to suitable weather and fire safety conditions as advised by relevant authorities. Tours may be postponed at short notice as Total Fire Ban Days are not declared until late afternoon on the day prior. This is beyond the tour operator's control.