SS Yongala Wreck Dive for Certified Divers: Join this 1 Day scuba diving trip out to SS Yongala off Townsville Queensland. Built in 1903 and sunk during a tropical cyclone in 1911, the SS Yongala ranks in the top 5 wreck dives in the world. Situated in the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park, the SS Yongala wreck site draws a large variety of marine life, making it Australia's best dive site. As a certified diver, you can join this one day scuba dive and enjoy all that this wreck has to offer.
SS Yongala Wreck Dive
- 2 Scuba Dives on SS Yongala
- Swimming with a large range of aquatic wildlife
- Wonderful corals
- Professional guides
- Great food
The SS Yongala Wreck Dive operates on Wednesdays or Saturdays. The trip includes 2 dives on the wreck. You won't go hungry either, with lunch and snacks included. Make the most of this amazing dive site with a knowledgeable guide and learn about its history and some of the people who perished when it sank in a tropical cyclone.
What marine life can you see?
On the SS Yongala Wreck Dive you can see Turtles, Sea Snakes, Giant Trevally, Queensland Gropers, Eagle Rays, Manta Rays, Sharks, thousands of Tropical fish and in the cooler months, even Humpback Whales.
How long is each dive?
- You will spend no more than 45 minutes on the wreck site.
- There is no decompression diving so all divers must stay within their decompression limit.
- Nitrox is available to extend your personal no decompression limit which is great for multiple dives but must be booked in advance ($25 per tank).
IMPORTANT: Diving Prerequisites:
- You must hold a Minimum of Open Water Diver
- You must have a Minimum of 6 Logged Open Water Dives
- If you have less than 15 logged dives you must dive with a guide
Dive Certification Card*:
- You must present your Dive Certification Card when boarding the boat so please don’t forget it.
- If you are not a PADI, NAUI or SSI diver you will need to provide some proof of your certification.
- CMAS, BSAC, RAID divers must bring and show certification cards as there is no other way to check!
- Travelling by yourself? Not a problem. The crew on board will find a dive buddy for you on the day trying to match your skill level as much as possible.
- You can also dive with one of the experienced dive guides for $10 each dive. (compulsory for divers with less than 15 logged) This is paid for onboard.
- 2 certified dives on the SS Yongala Wreck Dive
- Morning and afternoon tea
- Tropical lunch
- Iced water, cordial, tea and coffee throughout the day
- Demonstrations and instructions on snorkeling techniques
- Tanks and weights are included in the trip price.
- All EMC’s (Environmental Management Charges) and Mooring fees
- Experienced, Professional, Fun and Safe crew with a passion for the marine environment
- Experience the World Heritage listed Great Barrier Reef
Wet Suit Recommendation:
- Summer – full length suit to 3mm (October to April)
- Winter – full length up to 5mm suit (April to September). If you feel the cold bring a vest or hood for extra warmth.
- Gear Hire: Full gear is available for hire – BCD, regulator, dive computer, wetsuit.
- 9 hours
- 7.30 am until 4.30pm (4.00pm for Magnetic Island drop off)
- You can board the vessel from either Townsville or Magnetic Island, it’s your choice!
- Townsville – Breakwater Marina off The Strand at 7.00 am
- Magnetic Island – Nelly Bay Ferry Terminal at 7.30 am
- SS Yongala Wreck Dive minimum age is 12 years.
What should you bring?
- Swimwear, towel, sunscreen, hat
- A warm jumper or wind/waterproof jacket is recommended in winter (May – September)
- You might want to bring a camera
Operator Cancellation Policy:
- 20% with 14 days’ – 48 hours’ notice
- 100% with less than 48 hours’ notice
- Reschedule fee:
- Day trips: 20% with less than 14 days’ notice
Some images © Achim Wetz Photography.
You may also be interested in...