Six Foot Track Guided Hike, Blue Mountains, 4 Days: Join us on a fully supported, guided hike along the famous Six Foot Track from Katoomba to Jenolan Caves. Winding through State forests and national parks, the track follows the 45-kilometre route of the original 1884 horse track. Crossing mountain ranges and falling into deep valleys, the track features sheer sandstone cliffs, waterfalls and panoramas of richly-forested valleys.
The Six Foot Track Guided Hike is a fully supported hike and includes all your bags carried and meals prepared for your enjoyment served with local wines. Our package includes snack packs, breakfasts, 3 lunches and delicious dinners featuring beautiful local produce, beer and wines. A tour of Jenolan Caves is also included as part of your journey. A fantastic walking experience with all the creature comforts.
Our guides are locals who are passionate, well trained and enthusiastic with the ability to bring to life, a depth of information.
Six Foot Track Guided Hike
- Pack Free walk with your overnight luggage transported every day
- Accommodation 1 night: The Carrington Hotel, Katoomba
- Accommodation Night 2: Six Foot Track eco Bunkhouse at Coxs River
- Accommodation Night 3: at historic Jenolan Caves House. (alternative accommodation during renovations)
- 3 x Hot and Cold breakfasts
- 2 packed lunches to eat on the trail
- 3 x Dinners featuring local produce
- Morning Jenolan Caves tour
- Fresh fruit and trail mix to enjoy during your walk
- Professional guides
- Transfers from Jenolan Caves to Katoomba at the end of the walk
Six Foot Track Guided Hike Itinerary
Day 1: Arrive at Carrington Hotel
- Make your own way to the historic Carrington Hot in the heart of Katoomba.
- You will be staying in a Colonial Room (king or twin) for an early start to the hike on day 2.
- Enjoy a day at leisure to explore this beautiful town.
- Tonight enjoy dinner in the hotel’s restaurant.
Day 2: Nellies Glen Katoomba to Coxs River
Walk: Approximately 16kms. 6 hours walking with breaks. Medium grade
- Meet your guides in the foyer of the Carrington Hotel Katoomba at 8.30 am.
- We follow the trail through the rainforest of Nellies Glen as we descend the Blue Mountains escarpment.
- We follow the rolling hills passing properties with horses.
- Meander through the forest to we reach the charming Dryridge Estate Winery in the Megalong Valley.
- We enjoy a lunch stop here with a delicious BBQ lunch and wine tasting.
- After lunch, we follow the rolling hills passing properties with horses.
- We follow along the banks of the Coxs river until we arrive at our accommodation at the Six Foot Track Eco Bunkhouse.
- The accommodation here is a basic bunkhouse overlooking the trees with an outdoor entertaining area and fireplace.
FLEXIBLE WALKING: For those that don’t want to walk the full distance. Chat to your guide at Dryridge winery during lunch and you can travel with the support vehicle to the accommodation.
Day 3: Coxs River to Black Range
Walk: Approximately 17kms 6 hours walking with breaks. Medium to Hard grade
- Enjoy breakfast on the deck before we set out on our walk.
- There are many uphill sections so walking poles will come in handy as we will be ascending 800 metres over the course of the day.
- Our morning walk will be the most challenging of the day. We follow the 6ft wide trail as it snakes it way up the hill passing through the wooded country to Mini Mini saddle where we stop for lunch.
- Once we reach Black Range our guide will transfer us down to Jenolan Caves House for our evening stay.
FLEXIBLE WALKING: Today’s walk can be shortened for those that don’t want to walk the full distance. Just chat to your guides before setting out this morning. Our support vehicle will drop you off later avoiding the morning 400m uphill and allowing you to have a relaxing morning at Coxs River.
Day 4: Coxs River to Nellies Glen, Katoomba
Walk: Approximately 10kms. 4 hours walking with breaks. Medium grade
- This morning after breakfast we enjoy a guided tour of the Temple of Baal Cave.
- Today’s walk we will do in the reverse direction to save any backtracking and walk from the caves to Black Range. We make our way to Carlotta Arch above the caves area for some fantastic photo opportunities then hike to Binoomera Ridge through the peaceful bushland.
- Along the way, we will pass the lawns of the Jenolan Cottages a favourite stomping ground for mobs of kangaroos. We finally arrive at Black Range where our journey ends. From here we will be transferred back to Katoomba the end of a magnificent journey.
FLEXIBLE WALKING: For those not wishing to do a cave tour this morning our guides will take you on a walk around the Blue Lake.
Night 1: Carrington Hotel.
You will be staying at the Carrington Hotel in a Colonial Room (king or twin). Enjoy a day at leisure to explore this beautiful town. Tonight enjoy dinner in the hotel’s restaurant.
Night 1: Six Foot Track Eco Bunkhouse on the trail.
As they are off the grid there is no power or running water. The accommodation has a basic camp shower however there is nothing better than after a day’s walk taking a swim in the crystal clear waters of the Coxs River below. Afterwards, sit on the deck and take in the serenity whilst dinner is cooked for you. Tonight enjoy a hearty dinner served with wine prepared by your guides. The beds at the Eco Bunkhouse are large bunk beds with privacy curtains in the one room with sheets and blankets. Guests have the option of upgrading to their own dome tent and mattress which will be set up for you when you arrive below the bunkhouse near the river.
Please note: This is an extremely remote area and no 5-star hotels exist, however, the accommodation chosen is clean and comfortable.
Night 2: Jenolan Caves House.
After a refreshing shower, join the group in the delightful Chisholm’s Restaurant to enjoy a two-course meal featuring local produce and wine and chat about the day’s adventures
- A good to excellent level of fitness is needed to complete this walk.
- The Six Foot Track hike is graded as medium (with some hard uphill sections).
- We'll take the pace at a level that suits everyone.
- There are plenty of rest stops during the day.
We advise taking out Travel Insurance to cover items such as cancellation of tour due to minimum numbers not met, or adverse weather conditions, injury, evacuation, delayed flights, illness, etc.
Six Foot Track Hike Add Ons:
4 day walk Single Supplement:*
Your own room at Carrington Hotel, Jenolan Caves House. You may also have your own tent at the Six Foot Track Bunkhouse however single accommodation inside the bunkhouse is not available. Subject to availability.
COVID-19 Safety Measures
Life's An Adventure are currently following advice from Government Authorities and Health Officials on stringent protocols which are required during that time. This advice is changing weekly and we will continue to monitor these in regards to group sizes and restrictions.
We have vigilant hand and vehicle sanitising, pre-walk questionnaire screening for clients, client briefing on COVID safe practices and implementing current social distancing measures. Masks are mandatory during bus transfers to the trail. For travel within your own state you have the option to drive where possible to our walks.
Break Loose recommends that you should always get Travel Insurance.
You may also enjoy these Blue Mountains walking tours: