The Seal & Penguin Island Kayaking tour on the coast near Perth is a fantastic kayaking trip for the whole family. Starting at Shoalwater Bay just 45 minutes from Perth you will spend the day kayaking amongst beautiful beaches, calm seas, sea lions, dolphins and pristine reefs.
This is what our stunning Western Australian coastline has to offer. All this and more can be experienced on our sea kayaking adventure!
Seal & Penguin Island Kayaking Tour
- Encounter Australian Sea Lions
- Paddling with local Dolphin community
- Visiting Penguin Centre on Penguin Island
- Amazing scenery while kayaking
The first destination in our Seal & Penguin Island Kayaking tour is Seal Island, roughly a kilometre away and usually taking 15 minutes under normal conditions. Once there we will encounter Australian Sea Lions in their natural environment. These playful creatures love to swim and splash around your boat along with the dolphins.
Next, we kayak for about 30 minutes (approximately 2 kilometres) to Penguin Island where we land and have an tasty picnic lunch, followed by a visit to the Penguin Centre where we can watch some of the penguins being fed.
Afterwards, you are free to do what you like – laze about under the Western Australian sun, snorkel, swim, kayak, or explore the coast and caves of the island. We can also take you on a nature walk around the island to discover the many and varied shellfish, starfish, crabs, sea birds (including a pelican colony), lizards, dolphins and some great views of the bay.
At 2.30pm we leave for the return journey, often rafting the boats up and sailing back if the winds are right. This is a distance of approximately 2.5 kilometres.
After packing the gear and changing into dry clothes, we drive back to Perth, arriving at approximately 4.30pm.
Our bus departs Perth daily to Shoalwater Bay.
- You will be required to sign an indemnity form prior to participating in this experience.
What to wear/bring:
- Shorts, footwear you don’t mind getting wet, towel, hat, sunscreen, strap for glasses and change of clothes for after.
- Dress for the weather and assume you will get a bit wet from the paddles.
- Bring something to drink, and there will be time for a snack also if you want to bring something to eat.
- If your camera is not waterproof a dry bag is recommended.
How long is the tour?
- Allow approx. 9 hours with travel time included.
- Perth City pick-ups are between 7.45 am – 8.15 am and you will return at approximately 4.30pm.
- You can meet the tour at the Arcadia drive carpark, Shoalwater Bay at 9 am.
- Shoalwater Marine Park near Rockingham is a 45 minute drive from Perth.
What is included?
- all of the gear including sea kayak,
- snorkeling gear,
- picnic lunch,
- entrance to 'Penguin Experience' and
- transport from and back to Perth
We operate in most weather conditions but should the operator need to cancel your kayaking trip, it will be rescheduled for a later date.
This experience operates from September to June daily depending on numbers.
Other tours that may interest you include...
- Swan River Kayaking Tour, Perth
- Half Day Canning River Kayaking Tour, Perth
- Shoalwater Islands Kayaking Tour with Lunch (Winter only)