Mount Buffalo Caving Experience: Caving at Mount Buffalo's Underground River, in Victoria's high country. Are you up for crawling through holes, climbing up waterfalls and squirming your way through a spectacular granite boulder infill cave? If you are very lucky, you will see the ceiling of the caverns glow like stars at night with the spectacular variety of glow worms which are endemic to the region. For those who like a challenge and a dash of added adventure, this Underground River Caving on stunning Mount Buffalo is for you.
Mount Buffalo Caving Experience
- Immersing yourself the underground world of a cave system
- Seeing wonderful glow worms above your head
- Scrambling and squeezing through tight spaces
- Amazing and helpful guides on the day
The underground river cave at Mt. Buffalo is a horizontal boulder infill-type cave, some 350 metres long. We normally only travel the first 150 metres or so. It has a number of exits. There is an active stream in the cave and when water levels are moderate, there are numerous rapids and waterfalls to challenge you. This cave is wet and cold with tight squeezes and slippery rocks. It is a horizontal cave so no roped work is needed for access and it is all crawling and squeezing, scrambling, climbing and teamwork.
- All ropes, helmets, harnesses and caving equipment is provided.
- Industry-standard helmets and helmet-mounted lights. As well as kneepads.
- Two experienced cave leaders are provided for all cave activities.
Age & Fitness Guide:
- Children age 8 plus are welcome to participate.
- Children participants must be accompanied by a participating adult.
- Suitable for people with a sense of adventure and a moderate level of fitness.
- Mount Buffalo Gorge Stone Hut; the cave is located on the Mount Buffalo Summit not far from the gorge visitors car park.
- All Instructors are wearing red uniforms which is easy for you to spot them.
Numbers on the Day:
- Up to 12 people abseiling plus your guides.
- Normally run from November to the end of April, starts around 9am in the mornings or 1pm in the afternoons.
What to Bring/Wear:
- Thermal underwear and or warm synthetic clothes such as an old tracksuit or fleece clothing (Long Trousers and Long Sleeves as you will be crawling on hands and knees at times).
- The underground river is a cold wet cave, but great fun.
- Please note that caving overalls are not provided. Clients will wear their own clothing to do this activity.
- Sturdy runners or boots (Open toe sports sandals are not acceptable)
- Medication as required (such as an asthma puffer)
- After The Cave:
- A full change of shoes and clothing and a towel for when you finish the cave as we will get very wet! A plastic bag for wet and dirty clothing might be useful at the end of the Adventure!
- Cameras are not recommended if they are not waterproof
- Your own lunches and other snacks as suitable for the duration of the adventure.
Adventure Guides Australia operates the Mount Buffalo Caving Experience with the following cancellation policy.
Percentages of the fee are to be retained if cancellations occur at the following rate:
- 20 to 30 days – 25% of the total fee
- 14 to 19 days – 50% of the total fee
- Less than 14 days – Full payment required
Be aware if you cancel your booking, Break Loose will also retain 1.75% to cover merchant fees etc.
Adventure Guides Australia reserves the right to re-schedule any activity if conditions are unsafe or to provide an alternative activity or program. Participants may NOT cancel or change their activity dates or content without approval.
Break Loose recommends that you should always get Travel Insurance.
Click here for more adventures in regional Victoria.