Melbourne Kayaking Course: Our 1 day sea kayaking lesson in Melbourne, is suitable for first time paddlers and those who have never had any formal instruction. The aim of this class is to give you a good foundation in the knowledge and skills essential for paddling your sea kayaking safely and so you enjoy it. You will learn about: kayak equipment and what to wear, manoeuvring your kayak (forward, reverse, side ways, turning and steering) low support, a short afternoons paddle, "wet-exits" and recovery from a capsize.
Melbourne Kayaking Course
- Learning the basics of sea kayaking
- Emphasis on good foundation skills
- Short afternoon paddle
Classes are designed to be fun and loaded with information. Minimum age is 16 years.
What will the Melbourne Kayaking Course teach me?
- Strokes to make you go forward with efficiency
- Strokes to make you go reverse
- How to stop your kayak
- Strokes to make you turn
- Strokes to make you go sideways
- Low support
- Upwind and down wind paddling strokes
How is the course structured?
- Emphasis is on basic paddling skills e.g. forward paddling, bracing and turning strokes.
- These strokes will assist in developing confidence on the water.
- Capsizing and assisted rescue techniques are normally conducted at the end of the day.
What does the course include?
- Single kayak
- Paddling gear, PDF
- Professional kayak instructor
What do I need to bring?
- Lunch & snacks
- Water bottle
- Sunglasses with strap
- Jumper or fleecy
- Wet suit booties, tevas or old runners (compulsory)
- Pier Rd, St Kilda (300m west of St Kilda Pier)
Length of course:
- 1 day
- 9:30am to 3:30pm
Whats next after this course?
When you've completed this course you can try on of our more adventurous sea kayaking tours.
- Phillip Island Sea Kayaking Tour, Woolamai Waters, Full Day
- Sorrento Sea Kayaking Tour, Point Nepean Dolphin Sanctuary, Full Day