Important: 2020 Season is closed. This tour will be available in 2021.
Karijini Winter Canyoning Trip, Hancock Gorge, WA: This is a canyoning trip into the Karijini National Park specifically design for winter where you spend significantly less time in the refreshing waters of the gorges and more time abseiling, climbing, scrambling. But don't worry, you'll still get wet with some wonderful tubing and some waterfalls to navigate. This tour is affectionally known as The Journey to the Centre of the Earth.
Karijini Winter Canyoning Trip
- Abseiling down a waterfall
- Tubing in Junction Pool
- Lunch under Weano Falls
- The rock climb out of Regans Pool
The canyoning trip starts at Hancock Gorge as we traverse 40m from Kermit's Pool out into the "Class 6 restricted area" (off limits to the general public) for a 12 meter abseil into Regan's Pool. From there we move around to Garden Pool and you will lower yourself down The Chute, a 45 degree incline waterfall. Here you'll step back in history as you brush past the oldest exposed rocks on the planet.
You will then sit back, relax in your tube and paddle through this timeless country into Junction Pool. You then stop and rest up with lunch under Weano Falls.
After lunch, we retrace our tracks and climb back up The Chute using a hand line. Then there is a rock climb out of Regan's Pool and traverse back to Kermit's Pool.
We finish the tour with a Spider Walk out to the Weano Day Use area for the bus ride back to the start point.
Note: A minimum of 4 persons or equivalent cost is required for the tour to run. Please contact us with your preferred date before booking so we can confirm availability.
Our guides are fully qualified with nationally recognised qualifications in roping, hiking, water activities and Wilderness First Aid.
- Karijini Winter Canyoning Trip operates June, July, and some of August.
- Try our summer canyoning trip (Apr–May; Aug–Oct): Red Gorge Canyoning Trip, Karijini National Park, WA
- Morning briefing commences at 7.20 am.
- Please arrive at the meeting point by 7:15am.
- The day concludes at approximately 5 pm–6pm
- To participate in the Karijini Winter Canyoning Trip you have to be over 14 years old.
- Your fitness should be able to comfortably sustain up to 10 hours of outdoor activity
- You must be fit and active, be agile and confident on your feet as there is a lot of rock hopping.
- You must have good cardiovascular fitness.
- We ask that all participants have some swimming ability.
- Wetsuit (for the colder months), footwear,
- Water, snacks and lunch.
- Sunscreen is also supplied, and our guides carry sunscreen on them.
- The meals are vegetarian friendly. Please advise the operator if you require certain food products.
What to bring:
- If you would like to bring your own wetsuit, it should be 3mm thick but no greater than 5mm.
- Unfortunately, you cannot participate if you are pregnant
- Up to 13 participants
- Newman: Approx. 2 hour drive
- Port Headland: Approx 4 hour drive
- Exmouth: Approx 8 hour drive
- Broome: Approx 10 hour drive
- Perth: Approx 14 hour drive
You may also be interested in: