Guided Pigeon House Mountain Walk: This one day fully guided bushwalking to Pigeon House Mountain is an extremely rewarding hike from its base to the summit. Pigeon House has a very distinctive peak that makes its stand out amongst others on the ranges. This bush walk is not a particularly long walk, but it is steep and therefore National Parks and Wildlife have rated this walk a 4, but the views are well worth the effort in getting to the top of this amazing mountain.
Pigeon House Mountain Walk
- Simply stunning views from the summit of Pigeon House Mountain
- Amazing walk through the Morton National Park
- Refreshing swim in the Clyde River
First noted by Captain Cook in his 1770 voyage up the east coast of NSW, Pigeon House Mountain offers unprecedented views of the Illawarra escarpment for 360 degrees. At the summit, to the west you will be captivated by the ruggedness of the cliffs and gorges of the Buddawang Wilderness, created by the Clyde River. To the east, you may be able to see as far as Jervis Bay and Bermagui.
During the walk keep an eye out for the shy lyrebird and the rare Pigeon House Ash eucalypts.
On the day of your hike
After pickup from either Canberra or Batemans Bay, you are taken deep into the Morton National Park in air-conditioned vehicle to the starting point of your hike. The initial section is quite steep and you should be prepared for a tough first ascent. At the first rest stop spectacular views of the south come into play. As you rest your guide will talk about the local geology of the mountain.
The second stage of the hike is relatively flat as you walk through pockets of dry and wet temperate forests on either side of the track. This part of the hike is around 30 minutes before the mountain trail gently rises and you encounter the first in a series of steep steel ladders and platforms built by the NPWS to offer a safe and environmentally friendly way to reaching the summit. Once at the top it’s just a matter of sitting there and taking in the natural beauty that is laid out there before you. Views of the Buddawang Wilderness and the coast and ocean await. There is no rush to leave on the return journey, and while on the summit your guide will be happy to point out the many landmarks and geological features.
On the way back, lunch is supplied so you can rest and take in more incredible views!
On return to the car park its time to rest your weary feet with a foot soak in the pristine waters of the Clyde River and discuss the day with a cold drink and some afternoon snacks.
The walk itself is 5kms long allowing approximately 3 hours for the return trip.
You’ll then be returned to your hotel in Batemans Bay or Canberra.
National Parks and Wildlife rate the Pigeon House Mountain walk as one one of the best walks in Morton National Park and on the south coast.
- Length: 5km return
- Time (WALKING): Up to 3.5 hrs
- Grade: 4 (NPSW)
- Track: Formed Track + Steel Stairs
- Gradient: Very steep in parts
- Best Times: Autumn, Spring, Summer
- 7am Hotel Pickups in Canberra.
- 9am Hotel Pickups in Batemans Bay.
- 9:30am Group meeting point in Batemans Bay
- 4pm Return to your hotel in Batemans Bay
- 6pm Return to your hotel in Canberra
- Child prices are up to 16 years.
- Transfers from Canberra & Batemans Bay
- Professional Guide
- Morning tea, Lunch, Afternoon tea
- Air-conditioned transport
- Park fees
Numbers on the day
- A maximum of 6 people will join this tour.
What to Wear
- Sturdy walking shoes
- Comfortable clothing, (warm in cooler months)
What to Bring
- Drinking water (2 ltr)
- Sunscreen lotion
- Light top or splash jacket
- Small daypack
- You should have a reasonable to good level of fitness.
- Bushwalking experience is not necessary.
- We recommend anyone with knee; ankle, heart or lung conditions not undertake this walk.
Conditions & Weather:
- All Tours are subject to minimum numbers (4).
- In the event of rain or inclement weather the experience will still go ahead unless contacted by the tour operator.
- An Acceptance of Risk document will be issued and participants will be asked to read and sign.
- Please advise your medical and dietary requirements.
- Not suitable for infants.
- Failure to give 48 hours notice will result in loss of your booking.
- Refunds are not available for no-shows.