Dolphin, Penguin & Sea Lion Adventure Cruise: A visit to the Shoalwater Islands Marine Park is a breathtaking experience, and our 60 minute Dolphin, Penguin & Sea Lion Adventure Cruise is the perfect way to see it. You’ll meet our very inquisitive dolphins, little fairy penguins and the Australian sea lion colony that call this beautiful stretch of ocean just 45 minutes south of Perth, Western Australia.
Our guides know all the best bits of information about our marine guests and they are very keen to share it with you. Of course, the wild dolphins, bottlenose of course, are the star attraction in the marine park. There are over 180 dolphins who call this area home, and you may even get the opportunity to see mothers with new born calves as the Shoalwater Islands Marine Park offers a safe environment for dolphins to raise their young.
Visit Australian Fur Seals on Seal Island
We pay a visit to the local sea lion colony on Seal Island and watch them interact with each other, climbing in and out of the water and swimming around close to our adventure boat. The closer we get to Seal Island, the more wildlife becomes apparent and you may spot birdlife including ospreys, terns, cormorants and pelicans.
A visit to Penguin Island
Your cruise finishes on Penguin Island where you’ll see the local fairy penguins feeding. Then it's some leisure time for you to explore the island before you return to Rockingham on the ferry.
Our Adventure Boat is a 12 metre RHIB (rigid-hulled inflatable boat). This boat has been specifically designed to give you a more direct connection with the natural environment. Closer to the water, this boat can get in close and slowly or get to locations quickly. It's exhilarating, yet very comfortable. We call it an adventure cruise because at times, we may cruise in open waters outside of Shoalwater Bay that may be subject to seas and swell depending on weather conditions. Be assured our cruise is adventurous, it is not a thrill ride.
Adventure Cruise Highlights
- Fast and exhilarating ride on our RHIB boat
- Our underwater microphone will capture the sounds and clicks dolphins make. It really is amazing!
- Seeing rare Australian sea lions
- Watch pelicans at one of the largest rookeries in WA
- Viewing fossilised remnants of ancient tuart forests at ‘Aladdin’s Cave’.
- Commentary from our knowledgeable guides
- Exploring Penguin Island and its nature trails and coastal look outs.
- Snorkelling and swimming, or just relaxing on beautiful white sand beaches of Penguin Island
- 60 minute adventure cruise
- Return ferry transfers to Penguin Island
- Penguin feeding at 10.30am, 12.30 or 2.30pm
- Free time to swim, snorkel (bring your own equipment), picnic or explore the Island
- Our wild dolphin guarantee: if we don’t find dolphins on your cruise, you come again for free.
- *Please note all pricing includes a $10 Marine Park Levy.
On selected days – see our calendar
- 9:45am from Penguin Island (select the 9am or 9:30am ferry transfer to Penguin Island on the next page)
- 11:15am from Penguin Island (select the 9am, 10am or 11am ferry transfer to Penguin Island on the next page)
- 1:45pm from Penguin Island (select the 9am, 10am, 11am, 12pm or 1pm ferry transfer to Penguin Island on the next page)
- This tour does not operate between JUNE 6 TO SEPT 14 due to Penguin Island being closed to public access for penguin breeding season.
- Not recommended for children under 3 years of age.
- *Child fare: aged 3–12 years
What to wear on the boat
- Dress warmly as it can be cold on the water (even in summer)
- Dress in layers. Gloves, scarves & beanies for the colder days.
What to wear on Penguin Island
- Bring a hat, sunscreen and a long sleeve or UV resistant shirt.
- Swimmers and towels if you are planning on a swim.
- Comfortable shoes, thongs or sandals are appropriate footwear.
What to bring
- Bring your own food and drinks
- Surfboards, fishing gear, prams, wheelchairs, snorkelling and dive gear are welcome
On the day
- Departs from 153 Arcadia Dr, Shoalwater WA
- Allow at least 30 minutes prior to departure time to check in.
- This cruise is subject to weather conditions. There is no charge if we have to cancel due to weather.