Cradle Mountain Family Adventure Tour: The Cradle Mountain area of Tasmania has some of the most accessible and beautiful walking tracks in Tasmania. This family friendly 3 day tour will have you exploring limestone cave systems. Visiting a wildlife sanctuary and meeting a Tasmanian Devil. Hiking around Dove Lake, and other amazing walks in Cradle Mountain National Park. Staying in a rustic cabin just adds to the adventure.
With healthy meals, comfortable accommodation, 24 hour emergency backup, and professional guides provided, you will be able to focus on enjoying quality family time. This is a fantastic introduction to active travel for the whole family.
Cradle Mountain Family Adventure Tour
- Meeting Tasmanian Devils at Trowunna Wildlife Sanctuary
- Seeing the largest colony of Glow Worms in Australia at Maracoopa caves
- Taking the family on a diverse range of bushwalks
- Enjoy close encounters with native wildlife
- Walking to the summit of Cradle Mountain (weather permitting)
- Breathtaking views and fresh mountain air
- Relax each evening surrounded by wilderness
- Enjoying hassle-free family time!
Walking in the iconic Cradle Mountain National Park is on most bushwalkers to-do list. This 3 day adventure is something you and your family can share together.
Day 1; 8am... After pick up from Launceston, your first day is spent at the Trowunna Wildlife Sanctuary. Here you'll discover Tasmanian Devils and an extensive range of marsupials, birds and reptiles. Guaranteed to put a smile on any child and adult. After some time at the sanctuary its then onto the Maracoopa caves of the Mole Creek Karst National Park. We then head into Cradle Mountain National Park. If time permits, we will stop and take in some of the shorter walks in the stunning World Heritage Area. We'll then head to our accommodation at Waldheim Cabins. Your cabin is nestled on the rainforests edge and surrounded by wombats and wallabies. Lunch and dinner are provided.
Walking time: 2–3 hours. Driving time: 3 hours.
Day 2; The goal for the day, weather permitting, is to walk to the summit of Cradle Mountain. This iconic day walk takes you to the top of Tasmania's sixth highest peak. The views from the top are magnificent. The last section of climb to the peak is rock-scrambling over dolerite boulders – a real favourite with the kids!
Alternatively we can explore the ancient rainforests of Dove Lake, Marion’s Lookout, and Hanson’s Peak. After our day of exploring we make our way back to your cabin where dinner is prepared by our wonderful guides. Breakfast, lunch and dinner provided.
Walking time: up to 10 hours.
Day 3; After an amazing breakfast its time to head out of the National Park and towards the wonderfully named Promised Land in the heart of Tasmania’s Cradle Mountain and Lakes district. It is here that we will spend the morning exploring the famous Tasmazia – home to a mix of 8 exciting mazes designed to delight and challenge you. Each maze will bring you to the quirky model village of Lower Crackpot – with buildings built to 1/5 scale. After our final lunch together in this beautiful part of Tasmania with views out to Mt Roland we make our way back to Launceston.
Walking time: up to 3 hours. Driving time: 2 hours.
- 2 breakfasts, 3 lunches, 2 dinners, snacks and hot drinks
- Professional guides
- 2 nights accommodation at Waldheim Cabins
- 30 minute guided tour of Trowunna Wildlife Sanctuary followed by free time to explore the park further
- Private tour of the Mole Creek Maracoopa Caves
- Entrance to Tasmazia
- Transport by private minibus
- National Park fees
- Emergency communications & group first aid kit
- Linen & Towels
- Travel to and from Launceston
- Accommodation before or after the trip
- Items of a personal nature: alcoholic beverages, car parking etc
- Travel insurance (highly recommended)
Waldheim Cabins (run by Parks & Wildlife Service Tasmania) offer an authentic wilderness experience, allowing you to stay within Cradle Mountain-Lake St Clair National Park.
The cabins are equipped with electric heating, single bunk beds, basic cooking utensils, crockery, cutlery and an electric stove. There are small fridges available in each cabin but no general-use power points.
Two amenities blocks, each with showers and flushing toilets are available for cabin guests. Please note that all cabins are non-smoking.
- Introductory to Moderate.
- This trip involves trekking for up to 5 or 7 hours a day at a steady pace.
- A reasonable level of fitness is required.
- Be prepared for potential variable weather conditions.
Numbers and Availability:
- There will be 6–12 participants per trip.
- 2020/21 Tour Dates:
- 10 Apr 2020 – 12 Apr 2020
- 19 Dec 2020 - 21 Dec 2020
- 16 Jan 2021 - 18 Jan 2021
- 10 Apr 2021 - 12 Apr 2021
Need more info? Please don't hesitate to ask us!