Want to experience one of the top 10 adrenaline activities in the world today! Good news, it’s right here in Tasmania. You can now try abseiling The Gordon Dam in Tasmania’s south-west wilderness – and it’s for beginners and above. Standing 140 metres high, the Gordon Dam is the world’s highest commercial abseil.
Abseiling the Gordon Dam Wall!
The Dam is several metres higher than the Sydney Harbour Bridge (134m), and holds back thirty times the amount of water in the Harbour itself. Have you ever felt nervous standing on top of the 10-metre diving platform at a swimming pool?
Meet at the Gordon Dam which is two and a half hours drive from Hobart, in the magnificent south-west wilderness.
We have three abseil points at the top of the Dam. Abseilers can try the 30-metre or 50-metre descents before attempting the 140-metre drop. The Dam itself is concave, which means that abseilers will not be touching the wall for most of the journey down the face when making the 140-metre descent.
YOU NEED TO BOOK AHEAD!
Contact us and tell us what dates you are interested in doing the Gordon Dam Abseil.
This trip usually requires a full day.
– Minimum age 18 years
-A basic level of fitness is required to participate but no previous experience is necessary
-This is an introductory day and the instructor will teach you everything you need to know to abseil with confidence
-For your safety and enjoyment ensure that you have a good night’s sleep before the course
NUMBERS ON THE DAY:
1–30 people – we need a minimum of 2 people to book a day, but individuals are welcome to join existing trips.
-Guides (one guide per 4 abseilers)
– all ropes, equipment and safety gear including helmets
– $20M APRA approved public liability insurance
– a CD of digital photographs
– a Certificate of Achievement upon completing the 140 metre abseil.
– water on the day
WHAT TO BRING:
– Wear comfortable, loose-fitting long trousers, tights or a tracksuit, plus shorts if it’s warm
– Robust and comfortable footwear – running shoes are suitable
– A warm jacket – this is a wilderness area and the weather can change dramatically
– In winter bring plenty of warm clothing, wear layers and be sure to include a windproof layer such as a rain jacket
– Wet weather gear
– Day pack including; Snacks and lunch; water bottle, sunscreen and a hat or beanie, sunglasses
– Don’t forget your camera
Abseiling the Gordon Dam is available all year around, but we are unable to abseil during high winds.
Price shown is for 1 person